Recent developments in the field of cosmology have thrown the accepted Standard Model of Cosmology (SMC) into question. Major cracks have appeared in the standard model of cosmology. A Nature Astronomy paper (Ref.1) claims with 99% confidence that our universe is closed, while another paper (Ref.2) suggests overwhelming odds against an open, flat, and infinite universe. These findings challenge the foundations of cosmology, leading to the recognition of eight significant shortcomings in the SMC (Ref.3A) and raising the need for a paradigm shift in our understanding of the universe.
At the same time, physics confronts its own crisis, with General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM) locked in a fundamental inconsistency and a growing conflict between these two pillars of physics (Ref.3B). This crisis is openly acknowledged by physicists themselves (Ref.3C).
Subhajit Waugh, a scientist at RRCAT, has boldly proposed that the incompatibility between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity may arise from our incorrect model of the universe (4A). He provides an alternative perspective on the shape and size of the universe (Ref.4B), which he claims could lead to a unification of physics and cosmology, approaching a ‘theory of everything.’
Waugh asserts that the universe can be likened to an ‘expanding (hyper) balloon,’ where the universe’s boundary is composed of invisible scalar fields and particles. Stars, planets, and all matter are eternally confined within this 3D hypersurface of fields. He points out that this view aligns with the FLRW metric, the foundation of the SMC, where the temporal aspect implies the movement of the 3D hypersurface with a velocity of ‘c’ in the fourth dimension. This simultaneous expansion along the radius of the universe and the apparent separation of nearby points on the balloon’s surface aligns with Hubble’s law.
Waugh argues that the notion of a four-dimensional ‘SpaceTime continuum’ is a significant mistake (Ref.8) and that merging time and space into a single entity leads to a ‘block universe’ view that contradicts our everyday experience. He claims that this mistake stems from a misunderstanding of imaginary numbers (Ref.9) and suggests that correcting these mathematical assumptions could trigger a paradigm shift in science (Ref.10).
Waugh outlines three key steps to challenge existing scientific theories and presents testable predictions (Ref.11) that could revolutionize science. He predicts that data from the Euclid telescope will eventually reveal a positively curved universe, challenging prevailing notions and turning science on its head (Ref.12).
In his ‘expanding (hyper) balloon’ model of the universe, both Relativity and Quantum Mechanics coexist harmoniously, offering a potential replacement for the current paradigms in both physics and cosmology. This model, if proven accurate, could reshape our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws governing it.
1) Planck evidence for a closed Universe and a possible crisis for cosmology https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-019-0906-9
2) Curvature tension: Evidence for a closed universe
3A) A candid assessment of standard cosmology
3B) Relativity versus quantum mechanics: the battle for the universe
3C) World’s largest physics conference in Las Vegas will be grand; but will it be worthwhile?
4A) RRCAT Physicist Proposes New Theory Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics
4B) We are wrong about the shape and size of our universe: RRCAT Physicist provides a new model of universe.
5) Shape and size of our universe: challenging the Standard Model of Cosmology https://www.researchgate.net/publication/371487379_Shape_and_size_of_our_universe_challenging_the_Standard_Model_of_Cosmology
6) Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity are compatible, and have a common origin: the expanding (hyper) balloon universe
7) Is everything we know about the shape and size of our universe, and how it works, wrong?
8) The biggest mistake in Science: Space and Time do not fuse into SpaceTime continuum.
9) RRCAT Physicist Claims Correct Representation of Imaginary Numbers May Unify General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics
10) Science is standing on shaky mathematical pillars, which guarantees a scientific revolution
11) Scientist Mr. Subhajit Waugh Makes Testable and Falsifiable Predictions that Could Shake up Science to the Core
12) Euclid telescope will revolutionize science, overthrow ruling scientific theories, and usher paradigm shift in science.